PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Easyjet Scholarship for Women...
View Single Post
Old 1st Feb 2017, 13:04
Piloteyez

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ManUtd1999
easyJet launches initiative worth £600K a year to help boost female pilot recruits - Pilot Career News

What are people's thoughts on this? I don't doubt that Easyjet have launched it with the best of intentions but it just feels wrong to me.

The lack of women in the cockpit is of course a big issue and one that airlines should be looking to change. However, the obstacles to women participation are no more financial than they are for men. As a potential cadet without access to 85k in funding I am also a hugely under-represented group in aviation these days but I don't see Easyjet offering to guarantee my loan. What about ethnic minorities, I don't see a scholarship for them? Piloting is one of if not the worst industry for social mobility. For a company earning 686m last year could they not have given the same opportunity to everyone like BA/Aer Lingus?

On the other hand, for women it is a fantastic opportunity...
After having spoken to an easyJet recruitment manager, my understanding is everyone, male and female, has a chance to have their loans underwritten by easyJet, if they are a part of the top performing during selection. The female are also compared against each other and then selected. This initiative is taking it from 6% to 12% of their pilots being female. I think if roles were reversed, men would jump at the opportunity and feel completely worthy if successful, especially given women have the same opportunity in the first instance.

Last edited by Piloteyez; 1st Feb 2017 at 13:36.