PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Emergency Helicopter crash in Italy
View Single Post
Old 1st Feb 2017, 12:54
havick

Received 46 Likes on 20 Posts
Non PC Plod - yes there are some technologies that help but some that hinder - an example would be EGPWS in the mountains where all the alerts could be very distracting and lead you to either disable them or ignore them, both of which completely defeat their addition to the cockpit.
That depends on the EGPWS. E.g. The sandel HTAWS you can change the sensitivity to an appropriate setting to avoid nuisance warning flying down low in valleys etc but it still provides valuable information/warnings and alerts that can be a life saver going inadvertent.

To be honest all the naysayers about HTAWS generally in my experience have been poor instrument pilots, no IF background utility pilots or haven't been trained properly in it's usage and/or have never used it at all. I don't mean to paint groups with the one brush but it's what I've experienced so far.

sandel HTAWS has most definitely saved my butt at least twice, once flying on fires when I zigged when I should have zagged. And the other when I was fairly inexperienced flying on NVG's allowed myself to fly into deteriorating wx/vis. Both inadvertent IMC occurrences were in high mountenous terrain in a 412.

I'm not saying it's a silver bullet to stop CFIT accidents but it is a great tool to have up your sleeve if proficient and properly trained.

SuperF also raises a good point about being disciplined not to press on into conditions that you wouldn't normally just by having HTAWS fitted.

It's also a moot point if icing conditions exist and the aircraft isn't equipped appropriately.

**By the way I have no idea what happened in this accident nor am
I speculating the cause. It could have been anything.

Last edited by havick; 1st Feb 2017 at 13:30.