PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Downwind turn discussion
View Single Post
Old 1st Feb 2017, 11:49
megan

Received 442 Likes on 226 Posts
My instructor lit into me for that, explaining that the inertia of the helicopter might be overcome by the change in apparent wind direction relative to its mass, and would not accelerate fast enough with the wind to maintain the IAS and the rate of increase of groundspeed, and re-enter translation He went on to demonstrate the effect of allowing the helicopter to be caught by and apparent (to the helicopter) increase in tailwind, and begin to settle as more power had to be added to maintain the climb. It was a memorable demonstration. He is a 20,000 hour helicopter pilot, so I listened to what he said.
If your flying at the nominated climb speed there is absolutely no way that a wind variation is going to make the aircraft enter the translation zone. Either the 20,000 hour instructor knew zip or had great trouble explaining what he was about. In my time of mountain flying in horrendous winds never ever came across a problem with maintaining a desired airspeed. Sure the airspeed bounced around a bit but nothing of much concern, turbulence in the vertical axis and yawing got your attention though.