PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Qantas to establish A380 maintenance facility at LAX
Old 1st Feb 2017, 04:52
27/09

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
my position was that surely 30 minutes of an expensive LAME is cheaper than 2 hours of 3 cheaper staff and an open defect
Couldn't agree more.

But I still struggle with 3.9 LAMEs per AME.

Where else in the world do LAME's or their equivalents out number tradesmen by nearly 4 to 1?

Is it CASA rules or EBA conditions?

I know it's not 3.9 to 1 this side of the ditch and I'm not aware of any safety/quality issues. I'm pretty sure tradesmen outnumber LAMEs.

I recall a few years back there was spirited discussion on how many staff were needed for a push back especially with the new equipment being deployed. I don't remember the numbers but I think the new equipment enabled push back with just one person instead of the six or so that was currently required.

The reaction at the time made me think the opposition to the new methods was purely based on job protection. The one man push back has worked very well over here.

I cannot feel the 3.9 to 1 ratio is also job protection. Don't get me wrong I don't like seeing highly skilled jobs disappearing, but there comes a time when it becomes indefensible to maintain numbers. It becomes all or nothing and right now I fear you guys are heading for nothing.

If the need for the ratio is CASA based then the rules need to be changed, if it's EBA based then there needs to be changes there.

All of nothing is still nothing.