PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Downwind turn discussion
View Single Post
Old 31st Jan 2017, 20:35
wiggy

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Jan

Flying close to the (already much increased) stall speed in a (steep) turn is never a good idea, whatever the wind, whatever the gusts.

I know you'll all know this but just in case I'll offer up here what I offered in the other place (where TBH I think discusion on windshear and gusts and parcels of air may be confusing the matter):

Once upon a time UK CFS Bulldog students were demo'd the downwind turn "problem" when they started Low Level Nav flying/nav exes, 250 feet aal dual, perhaps, but not sure, 90 knots ish IAS). The training was nothing to do with coping with parcels of air or windshear; you can fly round at 45 AOB or more all day in your parcel of air at low level quite safely as long as the fuel allows and as long as you don't care where you end up, the point of the exercise was to make folks aware that it gets more complex when you need to turn to accurately to overfly a waypoint on the ground.

e.g. You are flying downwind, and it's a strong wind 30 knots plus, tailwind initially... you are going to turn so as to be on a new heading as you overfly a fixed point on the ground. You start off by using your "standard" 10 knot day angle of bank, standard IAS, standard 10 knot day amount of anticipation. .... Of course the tailwind becomes an increasing beam wind and half way around the turn you see you are sliding sideways over the ground and are now struggling to get around to overfly the fix, something you really want to do that to get set up accurately for the next leg of the navex...so....the temptation is bound to be to tighten the turn ....."just a bit more bank"...."just a bit more pull / loading ( more g /AOA)"....."oh, darn, It's really windy and I'm not quite getting there even with 60 AOB, so perhaps I'll take just a bit more....... I suspect "wrapping" up a turn at low level has killed more pilots than parcels of air or windshear ( on "light" types)

Same problem/logic can apply to display flying ( without pointing fingers but e.g. trying to stay inside a fixed line such as a display boundary) and no doubt elsewhere.

Last edited by wiggy; 31st Jan 2017 at 21:11.