PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - FAA capitulates to city of Santa Monica.
View Single Post
Old 31st Jan 2017, 16:00
9 lives

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
it's a pity this happens, and as others have stated - it happens all over the world. We are overpopulated.
Overpopulation is apparent where people seem to want to be - to which my daughter would say: "Yeahhhh ". Population tends to be incompatible with airplanes, farming, wildlife sanctuaries, weapons testing, and the list goes on. The challenge for those land use activities is that the population has the money. If pilots and aircraft owners paid tens of thousands in hangarage/tiedown fees per year, and hundreds for each landing, the airports would have a fortune with which to justify their existence. But nearly all pilots struggle to justify hundreds for the hangarage, and tens for the landings. Based upon that economic model, the aviation will be economically forced out, let alone perception of nuisance/danger. Airports are generally not financially sustainable, and become less so, when the surrounding property values increase dramatically increase.

Pilots and aircraft owners will have to realize that they may have to be willing to be where the flying can happen, and it won't be convenient. Between 30 and 25 years ago, when successively three convenient airports closed, I saw the writing on the wall. I moved, 75 miles toward Canadian nowhere, and bought land. I made peace with all the neighbours in advance, and my planes have peacefully coexisted with a rural area ever since. Over population will not affect my runway during my lifetime.

But, this past year, new to regulation in Canada, new aerodromes may require approval. In the middle of nowhere, success can be assumed. But, in quasi populated areas, the population has a say too. There's a beautiful lake not far from me, and I splashed into it one day in the amphib. I got the evil eye from shore. I had the feeling of being in the wrong place with my 'plane. I left. I mentioned to a friend, and he told me that recently, that lake had been totally privately purchased, and closed to all but the owners. Sure enough, on the next print of the chart, it was marked as not for use. Fair enough, the landowners unified, and bought the entire lake - it's private.

There are awesome vast expanses of space in many places on earth, where airplanes could be operated, and no one would care a bit - over population not a concern. But, they're not convenient!