PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - E190 near collision Mildura May 16 - ASI bulletin 56
Old 31st Jan 2017, 02:34
Lead Balloon

Received 425 Likes on 212 Posts
LB there was no 'amateur ATC'. Communication was made with XGA to alter course to avoid collision in the heat of moment. This is hardly 'amateur ATC'.
The assertion that XGA's alteration of course was necessary to avoid a collision merely begs the question. That is, it merely assumes that which is to be proved.

Do you entertain the possibility - just the possibility - that the outcome was worse than if each aircraft had continued its approach?

If you read back through this thread, I was initially convinced that collision avoidance action was necessary. I then read the report, twice, and read andrewr's input, thrice, and am no longer convinced.

I am happy to stand corrected, but only on words out of the mouth of the pilot of XGA.

I call that being objective.

I've flown more approaches in my aircraft than the pilot of ZPJ has flown in the type that ZPJ is. Who you you reckon is better able to judge where my aircraft is going to go, how long it will take to get there, how slow it can fly and how quickly it can climb, on approach? The pilot sitting in ZPJ or me sitting in my aircraft on approach?

Who do reckon spends more time 'close' to other aircraft and manoeuvring to avoid collisions?

I do understand the principle and benefits of mutually agreed separation arrangements. I enter them quite frequently. I'm merely pointing out that the person in seat 0A of a jet is not necessarily best qualified to 'take the lead' or - shall we say - 'be assertive' as to what those arrangements should be. The fact that a sentence starts with: "I have 81 pax down the back" does not turn whatever operational 'suggestion' the sentence ends with into an objective truth. Just imagine if ZPJ and XGA had collided on the go around, and the last conversation on ZPJ's CVR was XGA agreeing, at ZPJ's 'suggestion', to break off the approach and head towards the point at which the aircraft subsequently collided.

When I read proposals like Capn's "everybody clear off until RPT on the ground" and statements like "the mix of aircraft is too complex at airports like Mildura", I just laugh. Not through disrespect - and I mean that seriously - but rather at how people would cope at first world aviation nation traffic densities.