PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - E190 near collision Mildura May 16 - ASI bulletin 56
Old 30th Jan 2017, 23:18
Utradar

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Actually that is my point. The report relies heavily (exclusively?) on the TCAS data. As far as I can tell it is only the TCAS data that indicates that the "near collision" even happened - there is no visual confirmation mentioned in the report.
Not having a go at you LB, just relax and play nice.

I was just pointing out the report shows the pilots of the jet did see the conflicting aircraft and TCAS assisted in providing altitude information. It was shown to pass 200' above ZPJ. Let's not downplay the seriousness of this.

arrogant RPT pilots who presume to engage in amateur ATC on the basis that they "know better"
And is exactly why something needs to change operating to these aerodromes. The mix of aircraft is too complex at airports like Mildura. Basically jets can't manoeuvre to avoid collisions at close range due to energy state and cause a lot of wake turbulence along with other considerations.

There's difference in airmanship and professionalism between RPT pilots and 'casual' pilots. It's usually ends up being the casual pilots who make it difficult for the RPT guys due to lack of skill, awareness, experience etc. That's why the initiative of separation by radio usually comes from the RPT pilots.

In the case of the event that led to the discussion in this thread, the amateur ATC may have made things worse
LB there was no 'amateur ATC'. Communication was made with XGA to alter course to avoid collision in the heat of moment. This is hardly 'amateur ATC'.