PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Vision correction
View Single Post
Old 18th Aug 2003, 18:20
Counter-rotation

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Had LASIK procedure several years ago now - prior to that was minus 6.5 and 5.5 right and left eye respectively. Could pass the medical with correction but obviously no chance without it.

I now have perfect vision in both eyes. The funny part is, I wasn't flying at that stage of my life, but when I returned to aviation, and renewed my medical, it no longer required the endoresment - "corrective lenses required". My DAME was glad to see I no longer needed them, CASA were not so enthusiastic. When the paperwork went to them, I received a letter stating my medical was suspended, (ie. YOU CAN"T FLY NOW), and I needed assesment for the next SIX months to evaluate after-effects! A bit excessive I thought, as the operation itself was over 12 months ago already, with no ill effects whatsoever. To put it bluntly, they were about as difficult and unreasonable as possible (this is CASA medical department remember, so the potential is huge!!!) The procedure was fairly new at that stage, maybe they've sorted it out by now.

I can say honestly the procedure changed my life...and I'm not being melodramatic. Whether you choose to undergo surgery or not depends on many personal things.
What level of correction are you wearing now?
What other activities do you participate in where this would make a difference?
Which particular laser procedure are you considering?
etc.....
I personally would thoroughly recommend it. That's just my experience.
But...
CHECK WITH CASA MEDICAL DEPARTMENT FIRST ON WHAT THEY WILL DO ABOUT YOUR MEDICAL AFTER THE OP. Get something in writing if you can. Remember if they decide to they can pull your medical.
I've worked for several employers (no airlines - yet!!) and none have ever asked me anything about my medical except "show me your medical, fine you've got one..."
Message me if you've got any other questions and I'll do my best to help.
(If you decide to go ahead, start shopping for cool sunnies!!!)

CR