PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 6 engines stolen
View Single Post
Old 30th Jan 2017, 16:10
ArthurG

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArthurG
All the evidence points to these being used in Eastern European kit-built aircraft. The thing that amazes me is that the thieves target low-houred versions, so the selling network must have built up a market reputation which they are trying to maintain. It makes me wonder if they are somehow given new identities and sold as legitimate engines to unknowing customers.

can I ask, what evidence are you referring to and what types/producers are involved?

It makes me wonder why UK customs/border guards allow stolen stuff to leave the country so easily.. Just couple of weeks ago I read an article where a couple of stolen UK luxury cars were seized in Latvia on border with Russia - they've made it all across Europe until some border guard noticed that the UK licence plates were obvious fakes.. and it happens all the time.. surely you see multi-grand engine's leaving the country, someone should check if the paperwork is in order?

This was September 2016:

PIANEZZA, ARRESTATI I LADRI DEL CAMPOVOLO: AVEVANO ELICHE E MOTORI NASCOSTI NEL CAMIONCINO | CinturaOvest

Jonzarno in the other place provides this translation:
Carabinieri have arrested a 39 year old Ukranian mason [sic] and a Romanian worker aged 32. They were arrested at Leini on board a Mercedes lorry with a Polish registration.

The vehicle was transporting several work tools and gardening equipment. But not only that: In the vehicle, the Carabinieri also found six aircraft engines and propellers, stolen on 7 September from the Prealpi Musine airfield at Pianezze. They were hidden in a false bottom created by a wooden panel.
end of translation

There are a several Eastern European aircraft using 91x series engines, Foxbat (Ukraine), Eurostar (Czech), Sportcruiser (Czech) are ones I've heard of because they're marketed in the UK, but there are others which don't come readily to mind just now.

I have puzzled about why low hours engines are stolen, it may just be coincidental, because most, apart from those used for instruction, are low houred examples. Perhaps the stolen engines are used as cheap replacement for tired units.