PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Schweinfurt / Regensburg - 1943
View Single Post
Old 30th Jan 2017, 12:01
Mr Mac

Received 169 Likes on 104 Posts
Mighty Gem
Having watched that preview I think I can say I will be giving that a miss. That was just too much CGI and too many B17 for 1942.
As for Kassel being the main assembly point for the then 3rd Reich I had to sadly laugh a little. Kassel was indeed an engineering centre making locomotive's and Feisler Storche s amongst other things, but as for being the main assembly in Germany that is stretching the point.

The reason I am aware of this is that my late father was shot down while in the RAF on the 3/10/43 over Kassel, and as I took him back there in 3/10/2003, so did my homework so to speak.

I think Memphis Bell is a better film on the 8th AF, and even that is a little too Hollywood.

It is a pity that nobody ever made a film of the Len Deighton book Bomber, which knits together the tales of an RAF bomber station/ German night fighter station and of course the tales of those who were to be bombed. A very well researched and accurate tale of the period according to my late father. I believe David Putnam tried to make it, but could not get the finance, or something like that.

Regards
Mr Mac