PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - E190 near collision Mildura May 16 - ASI bulletin 56
Old 30th Jan 2017, 11:38
Compylot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think I get in now Leadsie (do you mind if I call you that?).

From your language ("heavy metal" "Amateur ATC" and "I know what my response to an "instruction" from another aircraft would be.") it is clear that you have a chip on your shoulder when it comes to operating at the same time as RPT aircraft.

Look, I get that you may be a moderately experienced GA pilot who's brother is a professional pilot, yet we don't know when communicating on CTAFs who we are operating with. Whether that voice is a student on a first solo nav, a crusty old crop duster or a private pilot on their once a month flight, it can be hard to ascertain.

Hi U

Good points.

However, I think all those more complex issues are trite. That is, they are all well known.
Tell me, what more 'complex' issues are 'trite'?

You may be awesome and have exceptional situational awareness, but that doesn't mean everyone does.

So don't take it to heart if you've experienced 'amateur ATC', I'm sure that wasn't the intention. You may of been communicating with a crew who were tired after multiple sectors operating into a high workload environment in a high performance aircraft.

Tell me, do you operate an aircraft that has TCAS?

Perhaps lighten your grip on that yoke, stop sweating and mumbling curse words over 'heavy metal drivers' and realize that we all just want the best and easiest outcome.

You keep wanting clarification on 'what could I have done to mitigate such an incident happening' yet I get the impression that you are dipping your toe here in the big pool not to learn, but rather to validate your own opinions.

As I have said before, when in a CTAF, ensure your transponder is on ALT, ensure you have the correct frequency selected (listen for the beep back) and make clear and concise radio calls stating your position and intentions.

If you're 'asked' to clarify something, or your altitude or position once again when you thought you'd just given it, don't take it to heart.

Smile and enjoy the view, you're lucky you get to fly as much as you do