PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Two arrested over 'disarming warplanes' at BAE Systems in Warton
Old 29th Jan 2017, 20:53
  #9 (permalink)  
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Rockytop, Tennessee, USA
Posts: 5,664
Nothing new about 'activists' not being prosecuted for vandalizing military aircraft in the UK.

“I was the pilot in this video, but did not fly the SR-71 out of RAF Greenham Common. I was the “mobile control” officer when the aircraft departed and the pilot was Maj Jim Jiggens, a USAF Thunderbird pilot and formally a US Army helicopter combat pilot in Vietnam.

On the evening of the air show featured in this video, women, who were protesting President Reagan’s decision to station intermediate nuclear missiles in England, broke into the security cordon around the air show aircraft and threw paint on several, including this SR-71.

Owing to the unique metals associated with the SR-71, the removing of the paint required special maintenance procedures to assure that no “hot spot” would develop on subsequent flights. It was quite a hassle and we were not amused over this incident.

Jim and I planned a farewell departure for the protesters who were encamped in a squalor of tents just outside the main gate. Jim obtained clearance for a “closed pattern” and turned to a downwind leg, descended to about 100 feet above the ground, and flew directly over the protesters’ encampment. It was early and probably most were asleep, but not for long.

Jim was flying about 250 knots and selected afterburner in both engines as he was approaching the tents. As the SR-71 accelerated to 350-400 knots, he pulled up and focused the plume (and noise) directly on the protesters. It was a magnificent sight.

I also had the honor to prefer charges against the women, but the British government later declined to prosecute.”

Lt.Col B.C. Thomas, USAF
From Col. Rich Graham's SR-71 Revealed: The Inside Story:

In July of 1985, an SR-71 was flown to [England], on static display for visiting King Hussein of Jordan. The very next day, British nuclear protesters threw paint on the SR-71. There was no permanent damage to the aircraft. Several days later crews flew “low” passes over the protesters tents near [the RAF air base]. Rumor had it that several tents were leveled and hearing problems lasted for hours afterwards.”

Airbubba is offline