PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - FAA capitulates to city of Santa Monica.
View Single Post
Old 29th Jan 2017, 19:11
Cenus_

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by piperboy84
The history of the field was the Douglas company built the DC3 here during WW2 I've heard stories that some of the factory was underground with a park on top to give any japs that may want to bomb it a bum steer. All the houses to the south and to the west were called "Douglas" houses and were built for the factory workers, most were 2 bed 1 bath, 1200 square foot on a 5000 square foot lot and sold for $5000. A lot of those original houses still exist today without modification or addition but now commad $1.5 to $2m so the real estate value to developers for the 270 acres of airport is in the billions. All houses to the immediate north and west of the field are in Santa Monica, the ones to the east and south are in the city of Los Angeles. My house 1 block south on Stanwood has seen all the old neighbors change from Telco workers and tradesmen to new arrivals who are Google, Snapchat and other high tech type folks with a high percentage being from the Indian sub-continent. Of late they are constantly coming to my door asking me to sign petitions to close the airport due to as they say "it's intruding on their lives". I politely decline to sign but explain to them that my method of enjoying my flying hobby and limiting people intruding on MY life was to vote for Trump with a view to enjoying the roll out of his commitment to cancel the H-1B visa program allowing foreign hi tech workers entry to the US. That normally prevents repeated intrusions on my day. .
Never in my life has one individual gone from high regard to utter contempt so quickly. Such a shame.