PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Dreaded Hi-viz vest
View Single Post
Old 18th Aug 2003, 16:30
poetpilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good points Knobby. Maybe there is a case for us pilots putting forward an alternative proposal to make airside more secure - but (and I'm trying not to moan, but just being realistically cynical) it would all be a waste of energy, since no matter how intelligent and constructive our proposals, we are dealing with a civil service organisation. In addition, because we in GA are such a bunch of individuals, getting consensus and organising counter proposals would be a severe challenge even to King Solomon.

Anyone who has worked inside one of these animals (civil service organisation, not one of the flying vet's patients) knows what they are like - they do not respond to logic or common sense & react against counter proposals in a generally officious and overbearing manner. I could quote many examples (but I have signed a piece of paper once that means I can't, otherwise they would have to shoot me).

So, as it stands, some erk in the CAA believes that no potential terrorist would be seen dead wearing a H V V.

I would have thought that these days, there are more people in all walks of life wearing the wretched things than not wearing them, therefore it must be considered de rigeur for Osama to be sporting one when he turns up at Steeple Bumstead airstrip to wreak havoc on the local church steeple.

"Sorry Sir, but you are not permitted airside carrying a suspicious package without a Hi Viz Vest"

"oooooh, so sorry, effendi..... <fishes in bag, pulls out yellow garment from amongst grenades, rocket launchers and circular object with "Bomb" written on it> .... I have one just heeeree..."

"That's fine Sir, Have a nice day, and don't touch any propellors"