PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Instrument Rating prior to CPL?
View Single Post
Old 29th Jan 2017, 14:39
rudestuff

Received 34 Likes on 14 Posts
The CPL is the only one that requires 200 hours, so from a purely financial view - it makes sense to incorporate the IR into your hour building. Remember the IR training will not count as PIC, so your best course of action now depends on your current hours breakdown. I was told that you should do the CPL first because you're already used to VFR flying etc etc, and IFR flight will degrade those skills. The thing is - you have 25 hours for the CPL, which should be more than enough to get back up to speed...
Now let me tell you about my IR experience: As a long time VFR pilot, I KNEW that the IR was the hardest thing in the world. I KNEW that I would need way more than the minimums. I spent £1000 buying a gaming PC and a flight SIM. Then I started my IR. After 6 hours in the FNPT2, the instructor said something that amazed me - "That's it. You've covered everything. The rest is just practice and fine tuning. The IR is way too long." Whaaat?!? Sure enough, 24 sim hours later I knew every hold and every possible approach by heart, before even getting in the aircraft. If you like procedures, you'll find the IR quite straight forward. I still haven't unpacked my new PC. If you've got enough hours and can fit in the IR I would suggest you do it first