PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Mallard Down in Perth
View Single Post
Old 28th Jan 2017, 22:53
mickjoebill

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
The aircraft will fly the same through the air regardless of whether it is flying in zero wind, or 300 knots.
What has stuck with me from my ppl training is that we fly in "parcels of air". That "parcel of air" can be moving both latterally and or vertically.
The thing that matters is keeping an air speed that delivers lift in this "parcel of air".

Doesn't matter which way it is moving, just make sure you are properly flying within it!

If you do a constant bank 360 degree turns in the parcel of air you'll be fine, but the parcel of air will move ( with you in it) you across the ground.

The notion of "upwind" and "downwind" are irrelevant in respect to maintaining lift in the "parcel of air".

Avoiding weather conditions where the "parcel of air" rapidly descends is advisable.

A takeoff in a "parcel of air" that is moving in the same direction as the runway is not advisable as it uses more runway to accelerate up to a speed where the airspeed over wings is enough to create lift.
I've found that visualising this "parcel" is a useful aid in communicating the risks of low level operations to TV and film production staff.

Mickjoebill