PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Mallard Down in Perth
View Single Post
Old 28th Jan 2017, 06:10
framer

Received 494 Likes on 132 Posts
737-Ng FCOM
The FMC computes holding patterns with constant radius turns based on current winds and FMC commanded airspeed. The pattern size is limited to FAA or ICAO protected airspace. In LNAV, the AFDS tracks the holding pattern using up to a 30 degree bank angle. Strong winds or airspeed in excess of FAA or ICAO entry speeds may result in the airplane flying outside the protected airspace.
Other types will no doubt be different. There are other protections not mentioned above as well, ie, it's not going to throw you into a 30 AOB at FL 410 ISA +15 !
Personally I think the argument is about inertia not momentum and we are actually talking about windshear.
Do the mathematical calculations still produce the same result if we hypothesise the turn taking only one second? I think they do, if you have faith in them we could jimmy up a 100knot negative windshear over one second and gather some data for the equations
( meant in a funny way, not an antagonising way )
Obviously 100kt negative windshear will see something happen, if you drag it out over a two minute hold entry then the results are benign.
Anyway, I may be wrong so I'd like to see the calculations done for one second rather than two minutes.
Cheers.