PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SECRETARY FOR THE AIR FORCE
View Single Post
Old 28th Jan 2017, 00:57
Airbubba

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Tankertrashnav
Ok, so while we are at it - Mrs May is our prime minister. She is not "Prime Minister May" (or even worse "Premier May").
Originally Posted by Airbubba
What should he have called her, Mrs. May?
Yes. His protocol advisers should have briefed him on this (not that I supposed she minded in the least).
Izzat so? Not sure I follow your reasoning.

Here's a photo caption from today on the BBC website that calls her Prime Minister Theresa May:

Prime Minister Theresa May will meet with US President Donald Trump just a week after he started the top job.
Prime Minister Theresa May to meet US President Donald Trump - CBBC Newsround

I know that US presidents are hot on protocol. I remember Bush junior snapping "Who do you think you are talking to?" at some hapless reporter at a press conference when he accidentally called him "sir" instead of "Mr President".
Can you come up with a cite for that? Should he have asked 'Whom...'?

An incident with similarities occurred in 2009 when Senator Barbara Boxer interrupted Brigadier General Michael Walsh when he addressed her as ma'am in Congressional testimony.

Airline pilot Jim Hill wrote Senator Boxer a somewhat partisan letter in response:

Jim Hill's Letter to Barbara Boxer : snopes.com

Anyway, here in America we know we can always count on the UK for your continued support and we really appreciate it.

I am surprised that Ms. Wilson, if confirmed, will be the first former Air Force officer to become Secretary. Similarly, I didn't realize until recently that there has only been one Chief of Naval Operations who didn't go to Annapolis. Sadly, in his case, it didn't end well.

Originally Posted by Royalistflyer
Her husband is a retired Air Force colonel, her father and grandfather were pilots and she holds a private instrument rated licence.
In fact, according to the article linked below, her grandfather, George Gordon "Scotty" Wilson, flew in the Royal Flying Corps in World War I. That can't hurt relations between the RAF and the USAF.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heather_Wilson

Last edited by Airbubba; 28th Jan 2017 at 16:42.