PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Funding / Loans / Money
View Single Post
Old 27th Jan 2017, 10:45
Prophead

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I can tell you they don't look favorably upon someone heading stateside and smashing out the hours in such time then coming back
As much as I don't like it, the reality is the majority of airlines prefer those who have been to an integrated school - this was said to me directly again.

I understand fully about the quality of flying during hour building. The whole point of the hour building is to become an aircraft commander. The best way to do this is to fly as many types as you can and try different types of flying. Some time in foreign countries is a good thing but not, as you have been told going to one place that has great weather and flying the same type until you reach the number of hours you need.

I was out in Arizona a couple of years ago doing some flying and there were students from a large integrated school doing the hour building at the same airfield.

They were doing exactly as you describe, flying one type in fantastic weather and just knocking out the hours as quickly as possible. They probably paid a hell of a lot more than I was too.

It seems to me that the modular route is far more in line with the above type of thinking than integrated.

As to the £100,000 loans, if you have the money and can afford to spend it without seeing results at the end then go for it. If you are borrowing on your own back then you better have an alternative career to pay it back once the term starts. A bank will not be interested in the fact you cannot get a job. They will want their money back.

If you are letting your parents take money from their house or savings then you have a duty to make sure they know all the facts. Aviation is one of the first and hardest hit whenever a downturn happens. If there is another 9/11 style attack or SARS type virus or financial meltdown then you will not be getting a job. Should you be employed then you will probably also find that your the first out the door if the above happens too. It doesn't even have to be that large scale, a rise in interest rates can hurt the aviation industry as it is that fragile.

What happens then? If you can make the payments then your parents will have to. If they can't then there goes their house. This may sound dramatic but that is the reality. It has happened before and it will happen again.

There are many, many modular guys flying airliners for a living and after that first job nobody cares about how you trained. The only reason we have the likes of CTC is because people are willing to pay for it, not because there was ever a shortage of competent pilots.