PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Funding / Loans / Money
View Single Post
Old 27th Jan 2017, 09:58
Officer Kite

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You could get on a plane to Florida and have all your hour building done in a couple of 2 week package holidays. 2x £500 and about £7000 for 100 hours.. (maybe a couple of grand extra if you play it smart and get your FAA IR as well
Whilst in an ideal world I would love to do this, save cash, not have to be away from home for extended periods, be able to work part time and even make cash during training etc etc

However the reality, and I can tell you this as someone who works in an airline and communicates with pilots on a daily basis, including the head of training etc. I can tell you they don't look favorably upon someone heading stateside and smashing out the hours in such time then coming back, those of senior status in this airline (i.e. those who decide what CVs go straight in the bin or those that get called) simply view that all as a cowboy job. "Anyone can go and hour build, but what is the quality of those hours?" is pretty much exactly what was said to me. I am pretty sure that is the attitude in most airlines (though admittedly not all). However as people with these mindsets move around airlines and reset standards - an airline that may give you a chance today having trained that way may not do so in the near future. It really is Russian roulette with the magnitude of the gamble.

As much as I don't like it, the reality is the majority of airlines prefer those who have been to an integrated school - this was said to me directly again.

Previously I was in doubt and felt people were talking nonsense and that modular was just as good to an airline, since joining one and speaking to the right people though I can see I was wrong - thankfully before too late.