PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air NZ link recruitment 2017
View Single Post
Old 27th Jan 2017, 01:10
ElZilcho

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
If you want to get into Air NZ as an external you'll need Jet Time (yes, there are exceptions). To get a Jet Job you need some Twin-Turbine ATO time, which you'll find in the Links. So the above point is rather moot for someone with 500 hours.

However, for those who have short memories, or didn't start flying until 2012, I'd be very careful making career decisions based on recent events.

(Some) Link Pilots love to moan about external hiring but they could really do with a dose of reality. How many of them were hired with minimal (500+) hours due to the rapid expansion of Mount Cook? How many of them are now enjoying ATR Commands in their mid 20's after a few short years due to expansion? Well guess what? That expansion which got you a Job is why Air NZ hasn't called you to the Jets... the Links need Captains and many FO's lack the experience required to upgrade.

The goal posts in this job are always moving in our part of the world, so I wont get hung up on "Back in my day" (when you needed 1500+ Multi for Nelson/Cook), but what I will say is we all get stuck in a seat at some point in our careers. Be thankful you're stuck in an Dash/ATR rather than instructing in a C172.

Yes, I gather Link Pilots are leaving for Jet Jobs and good on them, they're advancing their careers and upskilling. Kudos. But, contrary to popular gossip, just because some Link Pilots found leaving the group a quicker route to Air NZ doesn't mean it will work for everyone.

That being said, Air NZ is just another Job. And the (eventual) LHS of a Jetstar A320 aint a bad life if that's where you get "stuck".

Last edited by ElZilcho; 4th Feb 2017 at 08:12.