PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Looking for advice
View Single Post
Old 26th Jan 2017, 20:55
tail wheel

Received 225 Likes on 120 Posts
xbrit. I knew when you commenced this thread that the responses would varied and divergent, as you will see. This is merely a reflection of the very wide variety of avenues which may open up for entry into Australian commercial aviation.

For everyone the route to an airline Seat 0A is different. At 15 years of age one dreams of the supreme job at end of the road, but no idea of the path to take, which is mostly dictated by opportunity, ability and skill. And a modicum of good luck......

If she is 15, her first priority is completion of High School with good results in academic subjects.

If she is really committed to a flying career, at her age and whilst at school join the Air Cadets and a Gliding Club.

If she is still committed to flying on completion of year 12, take a break year, get a job and self fund a PPL.

After all that, she should know what she really wants and how to get there without the widely varying suggestions here.

I personally think the RAAF or any other branch of the military that offers flying is the way to go.
I don't know the acceptance rate but it must be something around 1% of applicants? Excellent high school results, a PPL and possibly a Degree may improve the odds?

Here in the USA doing MIL service gets you citizenship. Is that the same in Australia?
It used to be the case for Officers recruited overseas. But your girl has no hope of being accepted in the Australian Military if she is not an Australian Citizen - especially as a cadet officer:

CITIZENSHIP REQUIREMENTS

You must be an Australian citizen to serve in the ADF.

Like a number of other countries, the Australian Government considers that it is appropriate for its Defence Force members to be Australian citizens as a demonstration of their commitment to, and long-term stake in, the future of Australia.

In exceptional circumstances, if a position cannot be filled by an Australian Citizen the citizenship requirement may be waived and applications may be accepted from:

• Permanent residents who can prove they have applied for citizenship.

• Permanent residents who are ineligible to apply for Australian citizenship as long as they are prepared to apply for citizenship within three months of commencing service (or six months if in the ADF Reserve).

• Overseas applicants with relevant military experience (see below).
As an Aussie I would be totally appalled to think my tax money was being used to train a non citizen pilot, who could up and leave when she has an RAAF pilot qualifications at a cost to the tax payer around a million dollars!!

And as a Non Citizen, if she decides to undertake a Degree, she is up for full tote odds on the Fees, no deferred payment and discounted HECS fees. As it should be!

If she hold Aussie PR and has four year residence in Australia, she can apply for Australian Citizenship which will be granted when she turns 16. Australia allows dual and multiple Citizenship.

If she wants our public funding towards her education and flying perhaps a commitment to our Country should be her first objective?