PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Deal at Norwich
Thread: Deal at Norwich
View Single Post
Old 26th Jan 2017, 12:00
alex90

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I always wonder about those claiming to be stung, at least in the UK.
Sure - you can do your research, and surely you should do your research before flying! I know I definitely do.

There are however, occasions when you have little choice with regards to your destination. For instance, if there are no other suitable airfields nearby and you need to go there, such as options around Norwich actually! Or you may well have to clear customs at a customs airport. Or you decide to do a precautionary diversion without checking the landing fees (which why would you?). Or you may very well have no out - and NEED to land whether emergency or not!

I still don't understand how it is acceptable to charge upwards of £50 for "handling" which for private GA is nothing more than providing a payment facility. Sure the clean toilet, free coffee and biscuit is a nice plus - but surely charging £5 to £10 commission on taking the payment more than covers the cost of taking the payment, the VAT, the loo, the coffee and the biscuit! Where does the rest come from? (please someone enlighten me) We GA types don't need a posh waiting room with flat screen TV, wifi etc... All we need / want is a place to pay our dues!! (and maybe a loo too)

Wouldn't the place be much more vibrant, filled with aviators by offering cheaper landing fees, encouraging people to come visit?