PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Funding / Loans / Money
View Single Post
Old 26th Jan 2017, 07:33
bulldog89

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by button push ignored
Listen...some years ago I fully shared your ideas, so I've got a BoS(Eng), worked for a couple of airlines and I also applied to a number of cadet programs: then one day I've been "lucky" enough to be selected for a fully sponsored cadetship founded by an unmentionable airline (here on the forum) which also provided a salary during training. Of course I was as happy as one could be.

But now, looking back...I just won't do it. I gave up so much to get that job, and maybe that "so much" was worth more that 120,000£.

So my opinion is this: the best period to start training was two years ago, but even today the EU market looks good...
It's no secret that the main objective of the FTOs is making money, and the same is true for the airlines...BUT: a "cheap" ATPL is going to cost something like 60,000€ and there's also an high probability that you'll also have to pay an extra 25,000€ to get a TR...so we're talking of nearly 80,000/90,000€ plus the extras (housing, food, insurance, etc).
On the other hand there are the "big three" asking for something like 110,000/130,000€ for a frozen ATPL/MPL plus MCC, UPRT and other stuff...and a "big name" to show on your CV. I know for sure that easyJet (sorry if it's my only example but I worked there, I still have a lot of contacts and I hope it will be my "backdoor" to move back to Europe) has commercial agreements with both CTC and CAE (don't know about FTE) about low-hours pilot employment, something that ables them to save money on Sim Checks and Recurrent training sessions.

So if you really want to be an airline pilot, I think this a good time to get your licences and even if there's a lot of money involved and a fair amount of risk, to do it in one of the mentioned FTOs.
Of course mortgaging your house should be seen as the extreme last option to found your training, but if you lack alternatives and everyone involved agrees...it's risk vs. reward; if it goes well everyone is happy, if it goes bad you'll live with your parents another 15 years and work to pay back your loan...or you'll find an amazing job, become millionaire and start your own airlines...who knows?