PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Emergency Helicopter crash in Italy
View Single Post
Old 26th Jan 2017, 07:17
Furia

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by NRDK
Why did the helo 'drop' vertically (with decent rpm given state of MR blades)

You really think so soon after the crash that those little specks of the rescue team made all that debris mess down slope?

Have you attended many aircraft accidents (god forbid) and do you actually fly or have flown a 139?

Henra in an above post is on the mark with his call.

A tragedy in awful circumstances, that shouldn't happen in such a capable helicopter when used to its full potential.
I have flown that very helicopter EC-KJT in Spain years ago, been doing SAR in 139 for a decade and I have 2 University Courses in Aircraft Accident Investigation.
All I mention here is pure speculation based on the pictures available and does not pretend to be a technical analysis, however some relevant facts appear evident without too much analysis.
It seem obvious to me that the helicopter was not flying uphill. Impact marks and fuselage orientation show different.
Debris print on ground suggests a high vertical impact with not much horizontal speed. The debris on the slope is the path used by rescueres to access the crash site compounded by helicopter fluids and some parts that may have drift down the slope by gravity.
I do say this here because this is a rummors forum and I am in no way producing a "accident technical report" of this. I have only seen one picture of the crash and the avilable video. So take it with a pintch of salt
Withouth more data this is the fast initial idea that comes to my mind. So take it as it is, pure speculation.
if you have more solid data to sustain a CFIT with horizontal speed, I am all ears.