PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Emergency Helicopter crash in Italy
View Single Post
Old 26th Jan 2017, 06:19
Furia

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Most likely this helicopter droped vertically with almost 0 horizontal speed.
The wreackage is concentrated in one spot, the Gearbox and blades have almost not displaced from their original possition and the traces you see on the snow going downhill are produced by the rescue team coming from the road just downhill and not by the helicopter. If the helicopter would have impacted folowwing that trace, the fuselage would be oriented in the other direction and the nose would be real buried on the slope.
The tail boom is aligned with the fuselage and fractures are observed to be apparently related to vertical impact forces that sheared the tailbom partially
The wreakage is consistent with a high vertical speed almost 0 horizontal speed impact.
The thing that calls my attention is that the blades appear to have been severelz destroyed and on the picture I fail to see most of them or fragments of them so makes me think about the possibility the rotor may have impacted the mountain wall previously. However this is just an hypotesis based on the poor resolution pictures available.