PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flight Time To Sydney
View Single Post
Old 26th Jan 2017, 01:57
downunder35

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just saw these posts above regarding the Bristol Britannia. I recall as a 15 year old my first ever trip in an aircraft. Parents decided Australia was the go, and a few months later we were off. It was January 1964. I'd hoped for the new 707, but seeing the prop job Britannia, I guessed as 10 quid poms, what could we expect.
Our trip was London-Athens-Bombay-Hong Kong-Darwin-Brisbane. One engine died just before landing in Bombay, so we stayed there for 12 hours while the engine was "fixed" Midway between Bombay and Hong Kong, it died again, so we flew on with three engines. Hong Kong had a special meaning for us because my brother was a security policeman with the RAF based in Hong Kong, so again while the aircraft was being repaired, we spent 9 hours with him at the airport. We left a night and arrived in Darwin at dawn. then after a few hours refueling etc, onto Brisbane. We arrived in a cyclone and bounced around the Brisbane sky for a few hours, but eventually made it.
The journey took some 70 hours due to the breakdowns.
I think now to a recent flight to Europe in first class on a A380...what a difference, though, as a kid, my first flight was very exciting.