PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AAIB January 2017
View Single Post
Old 25th Jan 2017, 05:47
[email protected]

Received 652 Likes on 287 Posts
Well, I thought that HC's last post was a suitable place to leave this thread but you don't seem to be able to drop it.

So, we have established you are not a qualified flying instructor but feel you can lecture me about how to instruct and also assume that a couple of people who have had bad experiences with poor instructors somehow taint me by association.

I too have written plenty of instructional manuals and seen how 'educators' insist that every exercise has training objectives, enabling objectives and a massive list of stuff you are supposed to cover - that is lovely but all they have done is put into print what experienced instructors have done for years in the air.

It serves a legal purpose an in theory provides an audit trail so I get that completely - what it is NOT, is a replacement for a good instructor who can relate to, relax and inform his student - we call it creating a learning environment but you won't find how to do that in EASA rules and regs.

I always worry about those who are happy to quote rules and regs ad infinitum and to only do things strictly in accordance with 'the book' - it implies a lack of imagination, individuality, flexibility and character.

It's not sticking two fingers up to be creative in how you develop your student's abilities as long as you remember the basic guidelines. Handrails - not handcuffs - is how I have had it described before and it is a good analogy.

I hope that anyone who can be bothered to read this far in the thread can see that my emphasis is always on the benefit of the student, not rules, regs or rigid formulaic instructional methods. You don't put your student at risk, you don't frighten him/her but you do need to stretch their comfort zone sometimes to make them understand what a helicopter can do and what people can do with the helicopter.

It's all about the students and every good instructor should understand that and have it as a guiding principle.

The symbol of CFS is a Pelican, pecking its own breast to feed its children - that is the relationship of the instructor to the student - you give everything you have to make them better.

It's not a job, it's a vocation.