PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Obama's Last USAF 747 Flight
View Single Post
Old 25th Jan 2017, 04:33
Airbubba

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by peekay4
He is (was) the White House interior designer. And that husband of his is none other than The Honorable James Costos, US Ambassador to Spain. Obama's trip to Palm Springs was to visit their home.
Thanks, I think you mean he is the former U.S. Ambassador to Spain.

Originally Posted by India Four Two
The communications were much more casual than I expected. I had assumed they would be by-the-book.

Finally, I wonder how the ground transportation was organized. Did the vehicles at Palm Springs make a high-speed dash over the 50 miles to March or were there standby vehicles at March?
Sounds like pretty normal U.S. domestic comms to me. Unfortunately some of these folks sound just as casual when they go overseas, it causes confusion in my opinion.

SAM 44 stayed in holding for quite a while. All the brass at the Pentagon were coming back from the inauguration parade and getting ready for the balls, maybe they had to find someone to make a decision on where to go. March AFB is a reserve base but a KC-10 did land while SAM 44 was in holding so the base was open.

I had the same question about the ground ops. President-elect Trump had to divert from landing at Fayetteville, North Carolina to Raleigh-Durham due to weather on December 6 and the Secret Service had to scramble to get ground vehicles to RDU. He was in N757AF, callsign TYSON ONE and the Fayetteville ILS was NOTAM'ed out of service.