PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SOUTHAMPTON
Thread: SOUTHAMPTON
View Single Post
Old 24th Jan 2017, 19:44
Rivet Joint

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RW20: You can say that again! The airport has practically been closed for the last 3 days. To think some people on here say fog is a rare occurrence, it is so frequent at SOU it seems. Plenty of airports are situated on the coast, some even on the side of mountains. I want to make it clear I have absolute no appetite to start the boring debate about the technical details of fog and how it isn't SOU's fault blah blah (even though we had the expertise to put a man on the moon more than 50 years ago!) but the silence from SOU is deafening. Any chance of a statement apologising to all the people who have had their travel plans ruined? Any mention of steps being made to help alleviate the problem or planned investment to aid ops? Nope, just a message saying the airport is closed and will open when it opens. The impression I have is of two old gits in the control tower working to rule and never getting out at first gear, and the grinning goon MD too busy working on the grove in his chair (that he has been inexcusably allowed to sit in for the last decade whilst showing not an ounce of dynamism) whilst we all curse our naivety of trusting tin pot airport over LGW/LHR. Again I want to make it clear I dearly wish SOU to succeed and offer the range of destinations the surrounding region is demanding.

Just checked and 3 flights have just diverted to Bristol after circling for ages. Another one has given up and gone back to the Channel Islands! Just looked out my window and visibility is at least a mile, what gives? Not foggy at all tonight.