PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A320 IAE V2500 powered VS A320 CFM powered?
Old 24th Jan 2017, 16:33
Minderbinder

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have been flying the A319 with IAE V2500-A5 and CFM 56-5B and some protoype A320 with CFM 5A engine
(double digit msn).
Additionally to the items mentioned above:
1. V2500s stink. Doing an outside check shortens your live. I try to hold my breath when nearing a V2500. Sometimes you see the vapours rising from the oilbreather or lingering near the fan
2. V2500 AP speed control is sluggish. But when a speed just above green dot is selected you have the occasional "TOGA" thrust surge to gain 5 knots of speed.
3. Speed deceleration is slower on IAEs due to high idle setting and the slightly smaller engine diameter.
4. During landing you need to retard the throttles (yep I am aware its called thrust levers, spent my formative years on a boeing) earlier on the V2500 than on a CFM otherwise the AC will float.
On the CFM retarding the thrust levers early might result in a firm touchdown.
5. In gusty conditions the IAE engined aircraft seem to react more sluggish than CFMs. CFMs react prompt
BTW Our company policy is "manual flight, manual thrust" and raw data is encouraged. Never done an A/THR landing in real life except during autoland.
With regard to EPR, I use fuel flow as prime parameter when flying IAEs. Values are the same across both fleets for all intents and purposes.
All be said I prefer the cfm.
Speaking to our engineers low oil and fuel consumption for the IAE seems to be a valid argument.