PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Hard to land
Thread: Hard to land
View Single Post
Old 24th Jan 2017, 10:57
9 lives

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No, you don't ignore your ASI if you're trying to stick to 1.3Vs
If you hide it under a post-it note, and fly with your feels, you may very well land (part of my initial training so no problem) but you may very well fly anywhere between 1.15 and 1.5 Vs.
In a literal sense, I agree with this. However, rather than be precise about flying an actual speed in numbers on close final, it's more important to fly the 'plane suitably close to stalling on close final, though without losing control because you allowed it to stall. This can be achieved by flying by feel just fine, as most certified GA planes will have similar feel (some more pitch force than others, but the forces work the same way).

There are times when you will have to fly with no indicated airspeed, most commonly when you take off, and notice that you do not have indicated airspeed, which is nearly always because a bug has found its way into the pitot tube, you'll be landing back with no ASI reference. Or, you forgot to remove the pitot cover which you installed to keep the bugs out = poor walk around check. I've done that twice, one being a flying boat where the pitot cannot be seen from the pilot's seat, and I did not check on the ground. The other being a C-180 floatplane, (where you cannot reach to the pitot from the float). It had been re positioned at the dock, and now I did not want to risk turning it around by myself in a confined area to reach the pitot cover. I flew to the beach, and removed it there. I did not find the no ASI landings at all difficult nor worrisome.

Otherwise, both the Super Cub and C305 I have done training in, have no ASI in the back seat, so if I have to demonstrate a landing from the back, I'll usually be flying without speed reference.