PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Has EK been the worst decision ever?
View Single Post
Old 24th Jan 2017, 05:56
Emma Royds

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I do not regret coming to EK. My viewpoint may not rest comfortably with some colleagues but as an expat, I view myself as a flying mercenary. I decided to move here primarily for financial gain and to get a more modern type in my logbook at the expense of living in a modern and democratic country at home. Both of my objectives have been met and should I end up in the office tomorrow for any reason and be shown the door, it would be an inconvenience but nothing more. I never viewed EK as a career since I am only as good as my last landing and the company can choose to dismiss me for any reason they choose, with little recourse from me to reverse the outcome. I am however far better off than I would be in any legacy carrier at home but the balance between risk and reward could be tipped at any time. This is a risk and one I am happy to take.

I take pride in what I do and how I am presented but I do this out of my own self professionalism and the logo on the hat and the colours on the tail are unimportant to me, providing I stand to gain what I had set out to achieve by accepting employment with the airline/contract agency.

A6EchoEchoUniform - I was that same young aviator that you have described when I was in my early twenties and I had my sights on moving abroad and I had the chance to taste ex-pat life prior to joining EK and have no regrets in becoming a 'flying mercenary' early on in my flying days. I am not for one minute defending EK and never would as I have no emotional connection to them or to any previous employer I have worked for whilst I have been a expat. I would say that no matter what you say will not change him, so allow him to join if he wants but make sure that he has a goal or goals in place with a exit strategy in place prior to joining, which is vital for any expat. It could be saving to buy a property at home or getting time on type. I recall working in another Arab country and leaving on a day off and resigning after I had left the country, since it was in my own interests and safety to leave suddenly and whilst my exit was not very dignified, it is indicative of what I view as the status quo between the ex-pat and their employer. It can be a cold and heartless relationship with both being willing to dispose of the other at any moment. Make sure your friend is aware of this from the outset!