PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AAIB January 2017
View Single Post
Old 23rd Jan 2017, 20:12
[email protected]

Received 652 Likes on 287 Posts
My sort of roundabout point is that when fully immersed in the day job, it is easy to lose sight of the fundamentals
No, not when your day job is full-time instruction - those fundamentals are always at the back of your mind underpinning how you get the best from your student.

If your student is a PPLH then you will keep to the syllabus and ensure thorough briefing and constructive debriefing - if your student is a professional pilot (civ or mil) you expect more from him/her and can present more challenging scenarios, kept pertinent to their experience and ambitions.

If your student is a front-line mil pilot then you have to ensure they are up to the mark since the enemy (whether that be weather or incoming rounds) won't give them a second go with a sympathetic debrief.

Basic instruction is basic instruction but often that spoon-fed, cuddly stuff needs to be altered for more advanced levels. You still need to put the student first but you do them no favours by wrapping them in cotton wool - and most experienced pilots won't respect you if you try to treat them like a basic student.

When HC declares that he might actually have been wrong to jump on H500 (my skin is very thick so I don't need apologies) then we can consider the group hug.