PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Wireless modem/router ports - bidirectional and equal?
Old 23rd Jan 2017, 14:32
rans6andrew

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts
Wireless modem/router ports - bidirectional and equal?

On each of our wireless modem/routers there is a port labelled ADSL which is connected to the land line phone point via a filter. There is also a bank of 4 ethernet sockets.

Can I plug a cable between one of the four sockets on one router and one of the sockets on the other router so that I end up with 6 ethernet connections and a second wireless, all able to see the internet via the ADSL connection of one of them. I presume that anything hard wired to the router does not need any setting up in terms of security or passwords?

I ask because we have been sent a new wireless router which has wireless security options which some of our old computers can't work with, ie WPA2. The oldest wireless equipped computers can work WEP at the best. It may be possible to get newer drivers ....... once connectivity has been established.

If all else fails, I can go back to our first wireless router which used a separate modem and had a dedicated "input connector" for that link. I don't know if the "modem input" is a special port (hardware wise) or whether it is just the same hardware but on the other side of a firewall internally.

Somewhere I have an ethernet cable with the pairs swapped over if that is needed.

Ta. Andrew.