PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Hard to land
Thread: Hard to land
View Single Post
Old 23rd Jan 2017, 13:50
KayPam

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Step Turn
A seriously important problem! Training simply wrong from the beginning, then requires detraining at some future time, which is even more effort, and introduces more opportunity for damaging errors as skills must be learned. Train it correctly the first time! If the club instructors cannot train new pilots who can fly a safe approach at 1.3Vs, best replace or retrain those instructors!

Ignore it! The 'plane does not know or care the indicated airspeed, it depends upon not exceed the critical AoA. Unlikely that the airplane is equipped to measure and indicate this, so you have to learn to feel what the controls are telling you. ALL light GA 'planes can be safely flown and landed by feel alone, by a pilot practiced in doing it. When I was checking out a new pilot in the Super Cub on skis two weeks ago, he asked me what approach speed to fly. I told him that I did not know, and just fly by feel. I think he did, and he flew very well. 'Best to learn to not need ASI....

We have too many instruments in 'planes anyway!
No, you don't ignore your ASI if you're trying to stick to 1.3Vs
If you hide it under a post-it note, and fly with your feels, you may very well land (part of my initial training so no problem) but you may very well fly anywhere between 1.15 and 1.5 Vs.

So, would you recommend that from now on I fly approaches at 1.3Vs for the current weight ?

If I did that I would probably go check the ASI and alarm speed/stall speed just beforehand. Just in case.