PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Rebirth of Conscription
View Single Post
Old 23rd Jan 2017, 11:39
Whenurhappy

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Rwy in Sight

I know one NATO army (in a country confronted by another NATO country recently in the news due to some political events) that can lead the way on teaching how to keep thousands of young recruits occupied just be cleaning, painting and providing hospitality service to officers. It is hard to describe how innovative are the officers of that Air Force and Army to create jobs just not to let recruit relax.
I know the forces that you are thinking of and even though national service is at the heart of every stout Turk, from my experience there a while back neither the Air Force nor the Navy allowed conscripts (who serve for 12 months) to do anything remotely technical. Most end up sweeping hangar floors, guarding, being abused, being exploited in local businesses...I could go on.

Meanwhile the Turkish Army consists of 75% conscripts, yet they (now) do very little fighting. There are no conscripts deployed in northern Syria as part of OP Euphrates Shield, meaning that regular training cadres have been combed for regular personnel to serve on the front line. Apparently.