PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Hard to land
Thread: Hard to land
View Single Post
Old 23rd Jan 2017, 06:01
9 lives

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It is very standard for clubs to create their own checklists with the parameters they assume best fit the operations of this airclub.
This seems to be the beginning point of some failings in pilot skill. Groups of people who think they know better, (based upon their own possible heritage of inexperience) than the aircraft manufacturer who wrote, and had approved as a part of the type design, a Flight Manual. This important document describes how to best fly the aircraft. Government regulation which will state that the pilot shall refer to this manual while flying the aircraft.

I entirely agree that sometimes a pilot must fly an airplane faster to the point at which a final approach is made. The fact that you're over a suitable landing surface does not mean that you have to do a STOL landing onto it. You may choose to fly a faster initial approach for distance or traffic reasons, but when you begin the final approach to the intended landing area, that should be flown as described in the flight manual, and standard flight training, which will be at about 1.3Vs. I may overfly 2/3 of a 3km runway, to land at the far end, and clear quickly. In that case, the final 1000m was my selected landing area, and I will fly an on speed final approach to that place.

To prevent a stall/spin during an on speed approach to land, lower the nose, and perhaps add power, if you feel that the aircraft is approaching a stall. A speed increase is only required if you find yourself flying significantly slower than 1.3Vs.

It is a certainty that if I were training a pilot who insisted on flying an aircraft at approach speeds faster than flight manual/1.3Vs speeds during normal landings, I would not sign them off. (I handle some forced approaches differently, in harmony with flight manual information).