PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Instrument Procedures for PPL Holder?
View Single Post
Old 22nd Jan 2017, 22:18
Big Pistons Forever

Received 133 Likes on 60 Posts
I am a PPL and Night Rating holder, building hours towards the commencement of the CPL/ME/IR. The goal is Airline Pilot and always has been, and therefore want to utilise my hour building to aid confidence and proficiency for when I start the advanced stages of training.
To be a good IFR pilot you have to be a good VFR pilot first. By that I mean you have mastered flying the aircraft accurately by means of the visual cues out the windshield with the result that aircraft's at the attitude and power setting will generate the desired performance with the aircraft stable and in trim all the time.

I have met very few low hour PPL's that can do that on any kind of a consistent basis. You want to be a great airline pilot master exercises 5 to 11.

Of all the ratings I did the Multi Engine IFR Rating was by far the easiest. When I started my IFR training I has almost 500 hours of ab initio instruction under my belt. The stick and rudder stuff was automatic so that I could concentrate on the IFR procedures and the flight test was a breeze.

But the true value of mastering the foundation stick and rudder skills came 15 years later when a massive electrical failure in one of those "real airplanes" all you SJS guys aspire to meant I had to fly a for real near minimum ILS with only the minimum emergency flight instruments left.

So my advice. Don't be in such a hurry to be a wannabe airline pilot. Practice the basics and strive for handling perfection. Your goal 95 % of the time altitude is + - 20 feet, airspeed is + - 2 knots, ball is a maximum of 1/8 diameter from dead centre. The other 5 % of the time you will correcting to the ideal. When you can do that then worry about practice ILS approaches.......

The pay off ? You will blow away the competition when you get to the CPL/MEIFR training.