PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Hard to land
Thread: Hard to land
View Single Post
Old 22nd Jan 2017, 22:13
KayPam

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Step turn : the pilot in this video demonstrated pure incompetency.
Actually, the reasoning behind these approaches at 1.5Vs is to easily avoid stall in final approach. Why wouldn't one do this, provided the runway is long enough ?
If all runways were 20km long, we would most probably approach at much higher speeds (something like 2Vs) because this would allow for faster traffic, and very reduced risk of stall/spin during the final stages of the flight.

One day I was on final and the controller asked me to expedite 'cause there was a liner behind me. I expedited. Cruise power down to 500ft (giving me 110kt), then a pull/push maneuver to safely extend the flaps and landed without any problem whatsoever on the runway.
The runway was 3km long. I obviously would never do that on a 700m runway.

Airmanship over SOPs.
As I said, if you're too fast at the threshold, basic airmanship dictates you're going to resorb your speed just above the runway and not try to force your aircraft to the ground like this guy in the video did.

Yes it will use much runway, but if you have very much runway like it is very often the case with small a/c, what's the problem ?
As long as you train for short field landings as well.
It is very standard for clubs to create their own checklists with the parameters they assume best fit the operations of this airclub.
It takes however more than a very young PPL pilot to question these procedures in the unfortunate event they were not adapted to this or that specific case.