PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 747-400 RB211 Autostart Windmilling Start
Old 22nd Jan 2017, 21:53
NSEU

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The 'difference' between Autostart and Auto-relight I posted above is common design practice for Boeing Autostart installations.
Sorry, I'm confused again.
Up until now, I've clearly divided (in my mind) that Auto-Relight (Ignition activation based on N3-deceleration), AutoIgition (ignition based on rpms below a certain value) and Autostart (ignition and fuel application based on complex flow charts in my manuals). I just wasn't sure that Autostart would automatically activate as a result of these flow charts without pilot action.

In my CF6 manuals, I can find no reference to a system similar to the RB211's Auto-Relight system (i.e. rotor deceleration rate-based ignition activation) . This, I assumed, was the big difference in operation between the CF6's AutoIgntion System and the RB211's AutoIgnition System. The RB211 has both types of flameout detection.

With the ignition switch in "NORM", the RB211 relies totally on rpm decel and minimum rpms to trigger ignition. The CF6, as far as I knew (in SINGLE and BOTH) reacted only to minimum rpms and configuration (flaps, etc) to activate ignition automatically.

Are we simply labelling things differently, or am I misunderstanding the operation of the ignition system?

Thanks!