PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Hard to land
Thread: Hard to land
View Single Post
Old 22nd Jan 2017, 21:46
9 lives

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
most aeroclubs in France will require pilots to use a Vapp that is quite larger than 1.3 Vs. Some will go up to 1.5 or even 1.6Vs of maximum takeoff mass ! That's up to 1.7 Vs if you're well under takeoff mass.
However that should not be a problem at all. It should just make your landing longer. You can just lose your speed progressively above the runway and land when at appropriate speed.
That should be a problem.... A couple of possible problems:

For most light GA planes, you'll need a runway about twice the length as you might for a landing from a 1.3Vs approach speed, and the landing distance information in the performance section will no longer be applicable. If you run off the far end, it will be very hard to explain to the insurer.

I might fly a faster high approach (though 1.7 Vs still sounds fast!) in a forced approach, as it does allow for a nicely precise landing, when you finally slow to less than 1.3Vs, maybe by sideslipping as needed on short final, to get just the right "over the fence" speed. But, I still aim to be at 1.3Vs as I cross the threshold.

If you're burning up the first few hundred meters of runway simply slowing to the speed you should have been flying over the fence, you're inviting a drift off the runway centerline, or begin a pitch porpoise, if you contact the surface unexpectedly early. The aerobatics needed to get back to where you should have been over the fence will be very distracting, and demand skill. A go around would be better.

I am very suspicious of "clubs" who suggest or dictate "normal" procedures which differ from the flight manual procedures. A new pilot learning that, let alone getting used to it would have some unlearning to do when they moved onward into a professional flying environment.