PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - History of Flight talk - Help required
View Single Post
Old 22nd Jan 2017, 21:23
xrayalpha

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi,

I know you have a list, and now you are asking who to leave out.

And you have been told there are some you can't leave out!

I can see - very much so - why you want to put some women in. But the problem with "firsts" is that they all happened a long time ago!

I am thinking in respect of your first woman commercial pilot. She appears to have been a First officer. Perhaps Winnie Drinkwater was the first Captain a few years later. But all that was almost 100 years ago. Back then, and for a long time since, women were definately restricted in careers and jobs (my mother's pal was the first female resident in a certain Glasgow hospital in the 1950s, for instance)

Perhaps more appropriate is Lynn Barton, the BA captain. She started as a "first" with BA back in 1987 age 30 - so perhaps shows positive things like barriers are being broken down, and then leads onto Easyjet's female recruitment policy.... and even ours?

(For our 2017 bursaries we are guaranteeing female applicants an interview. So still choosing on merit, but trying to encourage as many as possible to apply)

ps. If you want a "first" to inspire, no-one - not even Richard Branson - has yet flown around the world in an autogyro!