PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Hard to land
Thread: Hard to land
View Single Post
Old 22nd Jan 2017, 19:54
Big Pistons Forever

Received 134 Likes on 61 Posts
I think you have to specify what is a "good" landing before deciding when an aircraft type is hard to land.

IMO a " good " landing has very little to do with the perceived force experienced at the moment of touchdown. Instead the elements of a good landing are a touchdown on runway centreline, at the desired pre selected touchdown point with the aircraft's longitudinal axis aligned with the runway and most important at the correct pitch attitude. For tricycle gear aircraft this means a tail low touch down with the nose wheel well clear of the runway.

If there is a bit of a bump that does in not in any way reduce the " goodness" of the landing.

As a general rule "fishing for the greaser" is a fools errand and has turned many landings that would have worked fine if the pilot had simply held the landing attitude until touchdown, into bent metal.

As an instructor I have had numerous pilots come to me to help them land their "hard to land" aircraft. Almost invariably the problem was excessive speed on final. When they flew a stable 1.3 Vso on short final all of a sudden their hard to land airplane became a pussycat.

Last edited by Big Pistons Forever; 22nd Jan 2017 at 21:58.