PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Martin Baker to be prosecuted over death of Flt Lt. Sean Cunningham
Old 22nd Jan 2017, 18:27
Bob Viking

Received 550 Likes on 150 Posts
Chug et al

It looks like I will need to spell it out again.

I find it extremely difficult to understand why ANY pilot could not be utterly meticulous about checking and strapping into his seat, to have any strap out of place , let alone one through the firing handle and no notice the fact is absurdly bad airmanship.

And I still can't imagine why the pin was being replaced on the roll out with other aircraft in the vicinity, why on earth does, or perhaps did, the RAF allow such sloppy procedures?

The above was posted by RetiredBA/BY. You added that his post was well made. I don't really have an issue with you or others that seem to think I'm taking a pop at them. Indeed your posts are usually eloquent and well considered. You do come across as a little precious though by assuming I'm grouping you in with my initial statement.

I don't need to know your identity or that of anyone else. My point about anonymity is this. Would RetiredBA/BY happily walk up to the family of the deceased and state to their face that he believed their son exhibited absurdly bad airmanship? I doubt it very much. If he would then he is not someone I would wish to associate with.

Your points on this thread are about safety cases and the broader picture of RAF flight safety. You will notice I'm not getting involved in that. I could not add to your well made points and my knowledge would pale into insignificance against yours.

It is heartening to know that others agree with me (I have had a few PMs along these lines).

So please take my points as they were intended and don't think that I am in any way ageist or that I don't appreciate your support. The way you jump on drustsonoferp does reinforce my point somewhat though. As knowledgeable and wise as you are no-one is beyond criticism.

I hope I have, finally, made my point clearly enough.

BV