PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - King Air crash in Brazil kills Minister of the Brazilian Supreme Federal Court
Old 22nd Jan 2017, 16:05
JumpJumpJump

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good answer

This is exactly what I am trying to explain to my non-aviation friends here.

Apparently the weather became somewhat shocking at the time, heavy rain reducing viz to near zero.

On the other hand, I can understand why the conspiracy theories abound, the timing of Teori's death does rightly open some questions.

"Napkin approaches" seem to be common here, about a year ago an ATR from Passaredo (a once big, now small, regional carrier) managed to make a touch and go on a farmer's soy field about a mile short of the runway in Rondonopolis trying to land at a VFR only airfield in IMC, at night with a homemade approach procedure.... Looking at the damage there, the aircraft must have been cms from disaster

Avião da Passaredo que ‘errou a pista’ teve danos na fuselagem e hélice; veja fotos exclusivas :: Notícias de MT | Olhar Direto

After the "touch and go" the aircraft somehow made it back to the airfield.

Fuel exhaustion has been rife here in South America recently too, Obviously the Lamia, and a little before that a Navaro carrying a well known celebrity and his family made a forced landing due to insufficient fuel.

And, when talking airmanship.... Let's nt forget this gem from Brazil.... the pilot of a Baron, flying solo, leaving the autopilot on and going in to the back of the aircraft to film a video for youtube of te aircraft flying with no pilot at the controls.

I know too many good and responsible pilots here in Brazil to say that all of the behaviours I have mentioned here are normal for the country. But, some of the accident and incident reports we have here are so totally avoidable that frankly, nothing surprises me anymore!