PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Where was this control tower - Can anyone assist
Old 22nd Jan 2017, 11:13
Jungmeister

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's Parafield

I am amazed how long this debate has been going. I worked at Parafield Tower on a number of different postings, including the last shift in the old tower before the new one was grafted (c1981?) You can see in these shots that the hangars on the line to the right of the tower from this view match the ones in the old photo. Ignore the toilet paper hanging out of the windows - just a bit of a lark by the boys on shift! We operated from the Temporary Tower for about a year, maybe a bit longer. It was cramped to say the least. We had to climb a steep ladder. No running water and a porta-loo on ground level.
I learned to fly at the RACSA in 1965. In those days the DCA OIC was Jack Buckham and when you went on a cross country you went up into the tower to hand in your flight plan. Jack knew everybody! Those were the good old days of a sort of "All-Over grass field". Runways were 1000ft wide and you landed to the right of anyone ahead of you. You turned left and stopped to do after landing checks then either taxied via the perimeter or requested a taxi direct to dispersal. Some aircraft did not have VHF radio. They used a simple 3Mhz HF. Some aircraft had no radio at all and did a let down over the top and looked for a light signal. The Verey Pistol was in occasional use. My goodness. That was 52 years ago!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
PF4.jpg (318.0 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg
PF5.jpg (341.1 KB, 51 views)