PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Indonesian airliner skids off runway
View Single Post
Old 22nd Jan 2017, 08:45
ATC Watcher
Pegase Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
evansb :
I have never read an aviation safety report citing rate-of-pay as a primary cause or contributing factor in an incident or crash.
Of course not . That is not looked for. Reports are made by people employed by same organisation as the controllers . My point is that if you do not pay your training is going to reflect that. Because if you train high and pay low, people leave and use the training they got to move to a better paid job. So if you train high and want to return on investment and retain your staff , you pay accordingly . basic principle. World wide applicable , not only in Indonesia.

The remarks made here by rob_ginger and WingNut60 are very true for Indonesia. there people use the training received ( mostly English language ) to do another job on the side to make ends meet , and the ATC job becomes only a mean to cover for such things as housing , medical insurance and most importantly a pension. The problem we saw is that, for many controllers, ATC was not their priority the other job was. Having worked 8 hours on a job + spent another 2 of horrendous traffic to get to/from that job , to start another 7 h duty at the Tower or ACC is not what I call safe.
Most said if they received enough money to be able to sustain a family , they would quit the second job. That is the message we tried to pass to the (highest) authorities back then .
So yes salaries and working conditions of any professional in Aviation are part of, and affecting Safety .