PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AAIB January 2017
View Single Post
Old 22nd Jan 2017, 06:40
Hughes500

Received 44 Likes on 26 Posts
Sorry have to be quick as I am away mountain biking. Following " the I have control" to answer the question I spent about 20 minutes with him sorting out stuck pedals, which he fully understood and said was tremendously beneficial ( this included sticking the pedal , left one , for a transition away.)
The issue that I have, obviously not put down very well ,here is I was asked to do some VOR revision followed by general handling based on a CPL skills test.
My beef here and it proves the point, this is a potential CPL who over 400 hours over 6 Biannual check rides, a 35 hour CPL course, 3 loads of recurrent training we can't perform a relatively easy emergency and to make it worse was happy to sit there and do nothing.
Perhaps to keep some on this thread happy perhaps I should teach the following, to keep in my fashion the lesson numbers are the old ones
Lesson 1-2 walk round check, safety etc etc - why bother
Lesson 3 air experience
lesson 4 effects of controls - suppose I better do that one
Lesson 5 2sets of controls together "
Lesson 6 speed, power changes climbing descending yup better do that
Lesson 7 Basic autos, no don't need that as engines don't fall, rarely need an auto for any other reason
Lesson 8 hovering yes better do that
Lesson 9 landing / take off yes
Lesson 10 transitions yes
Lesson 11 circuits perhaps we could get rid of this as helicopters don't really need to fly one
Lesson 12 first solo yup
Lesson 13 spot turns yes
Lesson 14 sideways backwards yes
Lesson 15 vortex ring - suppose we better
Lesson 16 EOL.s no engines don't fail
Lesson 17 adv auto's lets not bother as engine s rarely fail
Lesson 18 PFL's well we could cut this one short as helicopters rarely go wrong
Lesson 19 steep turns, why do we want to go round in a big 30 degree bank turn for ?
Lesson 20 point to point hovering, weld we really need to do this ?
Lesson 21 quick stops, do we really need to do that, bit of fun
Lesson 22 Nav, we all use Satnav so why bother
Lesson 23 Limited power, better do this as everyone overloads everything
Lesson 24 sloping ground yup lets do this
Lesson 25 Down wind, yup as we need to know this
Lesson 26 restricted sites, better do this as we are flying a helicopter
Lesson 27 IF well should we shouldn't we

So basically according to some we could cut down the whole PPL from 45 hours to about 30 by removing Nav, most emergencies, all autos

I will be back for your answers late this afternoon subject to me crashing and off to hospital ( many a true word here !!! )